Free statistical calculators
Odds ratio calculator
The odds ratio (OR), its standard error and 95% confidence interval are calculated according to Altman, 1991.
The odds ratio is given by
with the standard error of the log odds ratio being
and 95% confidence interval
Where zeros cause problems with computation of the odds ratio or its standard error, 0.5 is added to all cells (a, b, c, d) (Pagano & Gauvreau, 2000; Deeks & Higgins, 2010).
Test of significance: the P-value is calculated according to Sheskin, 2004 (p. 542).
- Altman DG (1991) Practical statistics for medical research. London: Chapman and Hall.
- Altman DG, Deeks JJ, Sackett DL. Odds ratios should be avoided when events are common [letter]. BMJ 1998;317:1318.
- Deeks JJ, Higgins JPT (2010) Statistical algorithms in Review Manager 5. Retrieved from http://ims.cochrane.org/revman/documentation/Statistical-methods-in-RevMan-5.pdf
- Pagano M, Gauvreau K (2000) Principles of biostatistics. 2nd ed. Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole.
- Parshall MB (2013) Unpacking the 2 x 2 table. Heart & Lung 42:221-226.
- Sheskin DJ (2004) Handbook of parametric and nonparametric statistical procedures. 3rd ed. Boca Raton: Chapman & Hall /CRC.