Save graph options
- Aspect ratio: select the aspect ratio of the image.
- Use window aspect ratio: the height:width ratio of the image will be the same as the height:width ratio of the graph window as displayed on the screen.
- Height:width ratio 3:4: the height:width ratio of the image will be 3:4
- Free: you can select the height and width independently.
- Size (pixels): select the height and width, in pixels, of the image saved to disk.
- Resolution (TIF files only): specify the resolution (DPI) when saving the graph as a TIF file (default = 300 DPI).
A high DPI (usually 300 or more is required by publishers) is meaningless when the number of pixels in the image is small.
Remember: DPI = Dots per inch.
If the graph is to be printed at 300 DPI
- in a single column of 3.5 inches (8.9cm), you need an image of 300 × 3.5 = 1050 pixels wide.
- in 1½ column of 5 inches (12.7cm), you need an image of 300 × 5 = 1500 pixels wide.
- in full 2-column width of 7.2 inches (18.2cm), you need an image of 300 × 7.2 = 2160 pixels wide.
The information for specific journals or publishers can be found in their instructions to authors.