Allows to select different options such as the maximum number of rows in the spreadsheet, specify file locations, etc.
At the left side of the dialog box, you select the different categories (click the + sign to see sub-categories).
- Show splash screen at program startup: select this option to show a splash screen at program startup.
- Recently used file list - number of entries: the number of
recently used files displayed at the bottom of the File menu, so you can open
the files quickly. Enter the number of files you want to display in the entries box.
- Background image: an image used as background in the MedCalc application window. Click the Browse button to locate an image on your PC.
- Enable auto-update: select this option to enable the auto-update feature.
- Check for updates every n days: the update frequency. If you set at 3 days, the program will check for updates every 3 days. If you set at 0 days, MedCalc will check for updates every time it is launched.
- Check for updates now: check if an update is available immediately.
- Note: the auto-update feature is only available if you have a legal, non-network MedCalc license.
- Use Windows settings: select this option if you want to use the Windows settings (see Regional settings support).
- Use the following alternative settings: select this option if you want to use your own settings:
- Decimal symbol: enter the character to be used as decimal symbol. In the number 3.14 the character '.' is used as the decimal character; in Germany a comma is used as decimal character and Pi is written as 3,14.
- List separator: enter the character to be used as the list separator. In the formula Power(2,8) the character ',' is used as the list separator. In Germany a ';' is used as list separator and the formula is written as Power(2;8).
- Default file locations: the default file location for data files, graphs, text and other items you create or use in MedCalc. Click the item you want to change, and then click Modify to set a new default location. Click Clear to clear the selected default storage location.
- AutoRecover: AutoRecover attempts to recover files automatically in the event of data loss, such as from a power outage. You can set how frequently the AutoRecover information for your data is saved. For example, if you set AutoRecover to save every 5 minutes, you may recover more information in the event of data loss than if it's set to save every 10 or 15 minutes. By default, AutoRecover information is saved every 10 minutes.
- Spreadsheet dimensions: enter the maximum number of rows that can be used in the spreadsheet (the number of columns is fixed at 16384). You will need to restart MedCalc before these new settings take effect
- When you load a data file with more cases (rows) or variables than the number of rows and columns available in the spreadsheet, the program will display an appropriate warning.
- Angle unit: The angle unit (radians, degrees or grades) to be used in the program can also be selected. The relation between the 3 units is as follows:
2 x Pi radians = 360 degrees = 400 grades.
- Open spreadsheet window after loading/importing file: This is an option to automatically open the spreadsheet window after a data file is read, or after data have been imported.
- Enable auto-complete for cell values: when this option is selected, MedCalc completes text entries you start to type in a column of data. If the first few letters you type match an existing entry in that column, the program fills in the remaining text for you.
- Show Formula bar: select this option to show the formula bar in the spreadsheet window.
- Numbers and text: the text color for numeric and text entries in the spreadsheet.
- Dates & times: the text color for date and time entries in the spreadsheet.
- Default values: the color for default values as defined in Format spreadsheet.
- Excluded: the color for cases or values excluded from calculations and statistical analysis.
- Grid color: the color of the gridlines in the spreadsheet.
- List variables alphabetically: when this option is selected, the variables are listed alphabetically in the different selector boxes for variables. When this option is not selected, the variables are listed in the order they are entered in the spreadsheet.
This option does not influence the order of the variables in the spreadsheet.
- Enable auto-complete for variable names: enable auto-complete function in selectors for variables and selection criteria. If the first few letters you type match an existing variable name, MedCalc fills in the remaining text for you.
- Colors: Select colors used in statistical text results
windows: normal text color, color used for highlighting results, color for
warnings and error messages, color used for background shading and line/border
- Display small P-values in exponential notation: select this option to represent small P-value using exponential notation, e.g. P = 0.121E-6 (P=0.000000121). This option is useful in for example the field of genomics where massive multiple testing requires very small significance levels.
- Copy graph: the Image aspect ratio option allows to select the width/height ratio of the copied image. With the Landscape option the height/width ratio is 2/3 and with the Portrait option the height/width ratio is 3/2. With the Graph window aspect ratio option, the height and width of the copied image corresponds to the aspect ratio of the graph window.
- Color palette: all possible colors that can be used in a graph. Click a color rectangle to modify that entry in the MedCalc color table.
- Use placeable file header in metafiles (*.wmf): select this option to use the Aldus Placeable Metafile (APM) format for metafiles (*.wmf).